Unlock a Bikeshare Bike
We love bikes! In addition to public transport and ridehail, Transit displays bikeshare options in dozens of cities worldwide.
Bikeshare networks allow you to rent a bicycle at one station and return it to another location - a speedy, fun way to get from A to B. In select cities, you can skip the line at the bikeshare station to buy passes and unlock your bike directly using Transit.
Here's what this article covers:
- Locate Bikeshare Stations
- Unlock a Bike
- Plan a Bikeshare Trip
- Fix Bikeshare Problems in Transit
- List of Systems Supported for Unlocking
Locate Bikeshare Stations
Pin icons on the map indicate the locations of nearby bikeshare docks. The fullness of each pin represents the number of bikes at the station, and you can tap each pin to see how exactly many bikes and docks are available.
A bikeshare listing in the Nearby List also indicates nearby bikeshare docks. Swipe left/right on the listing to cycle through different locations.
Unlock a Bike
When you're very close to a bike station (less than 50 meters away), you'll be able to unlock a bike with just a tap! Tap Unlock a bike to get a ride code:
If you're not directly near a station or if your bikeshare plan does not offer to unlock a bike right away, follow the steps below:
- Select the bikeshare station closest to you. You can:
- Tap the bikeshare station on the map.
- Find the bikeshare card in the list of nearby routes and swipe left/right to cycle through nearby stations.
Note: You won't be able to get a ride code if you're too far away from the selected station. If you request a ride code for a different station, it will not unlock a bike at your nearest station.
- In the bikeshare station details:
- If you haven't already signed in, tap Sign In to connect to your account.
- If you don't have an account yet, tap Purchase Access Pass to create an account and purchase a pass.
- Tap Get a Bike.
- You'll see a popup with a series of numbers.
- Select a bike at the station and, using the keypad to the left of the bike, enter the 5-digit ride code provided in the app.
- When the green light displays on the bike dock, pull the bike back firmly from the dock.
- Adjust the seat to your preference, strap on a helmet and pedal away!
- Your ride code will expire after a set amount of time, so you’ll need to request a new one when the time’s up.
- Ride codes are good for only one trip. You’ll be able to request a new code free of charge within the period of your pass.
- Bikeshare networks have a maximum duration of free trips included in your pass. In most cases, this is 30 minutes. Trips longer than this will incur additional usage fees.
Plan a Bikeshare Trip
Transit can help you get directions that include the most convenient stations at which to rent and return your bike.
- Make sure your local bikeshare option is enabled in the list of transit modes.
- Plan your trip.
- Tap the trip in the results to see details about which stations to use.
Pro Tip: You will be able to see additional bikeshare stations near your origin and destination. If you prefer to start or end at a different bikeshare dock, tap these pins on the map to re-route your trip to or from this station.
Fix Bikeshare Problems in Transit
Payment and Code Problems
If you experience issues with payment or ride codes (incorrect payment, code doesn't work, etc.), contact the customer service department of your bikeshare company directly. They're in a better position to identify where the issue occurred.
Station Connectivity Problems
Rarely, there can be problems with the connection between the app and the bikeshare system. In this case, you will see the following error message:
" The connection to that station could not be established. Please try again later."
This is a problem with the bikeshare stations themselves, and is out of our control. We keep a record of these errors for the bikeshare operators to help them investigate persistent issues.
We suggest contacting the bikeshare operator directly if you continue to get this error message when trying to take out a bike.
If you are unable to log in to your bikeshare account, or if you're not able to get a ride code, report a bug through the app. See how to do that here: Report a Bug
Please include your bikeshare username, a few details about the problem, and any relevant screenshots so we can help you out!